Two days before, as I was listening to Kiran Bedi’s speech as part of an office event, I realised my inspiration to work outside home is not my working mother, not Kiran Bedi herself, but my Daughter who joyfully goes to her creche when I drop her off before I leave for work.
When I got pregnant with my girl as soon as I joined by new office, I had a feeling that this is the end of my career. Nevertheless, the pregnancy period was incredibly exciting and me enjoying that superwoman attitude. So now since I could still continue to work, all thanks to the in-house creche facility in office, I should apologise to my girl. Hence, I came up with this open letter for her.
My dear sweetheart,
The first sight I saw of you was the big black eyes looking around, curious to see the world. 21 months later now, we are partners in our development. Every morning, we have our bags to pack- mine with my office documents, lunch box, ID tag etc and yours with food, extra clothes, diapers etc. If you were not supportive enough, I would have had to stay at home wasting the investment on me.
So I want you to remind me of my following promises to you if at all I forget them out of my selfish love and insecurities:-
- · When you grow up, I want you to be empowered not just educated.
- · Choose your career based on your passion and not mine.
- · Be involved in outdoor games, to build endurance, be disciplined and have a sense of sportsman spirit.
- · Learn to be independent but take sensible decisions about what you think is right.
- · Make your own share of mistakes and learn to move on with renewed spirit.
- · Believe in yourself and not pull yourself down because you are a girl.
- · Treat the disadvantaged with compassion and lend a helping hand whenever possible.
- · I do not want to discriminate and deny you anything which I would have given you if you were my son.
Last but the most important of all, I do not want candles lit before your photograph like any other mother in the World. So be safe, be brave and know that your home will always be there for you.
,Love and hugs